125 Year blog - From the longest, the first Currie, to the shortest! PDF Print E-mail
Written by Derek Peakman   
Friday, 16 March 2012 16:39
125 Year blog - From the longest, the first Currie, to the shortest!

pastor_robertson_copy
Pastor A S Robertson 1929 - 1949 


Pastor Robertson’s introduction to Gospel work was with the Railway Mission under Alan Stewart. He worked with them, conducting missions all over Scotland and England for four years. RoyalScotsBadgeHe joined the Royal Scots at the outbreak of the 1914-1918 war and on returning to civilian life after the war served for nine years with the Fifeshire Christian Union. Later he was in charge of the Seamans Bethel in Methil under the auspices of Scottish Coastal Missions.

His induction to Hope Hall was on Saturday 31st August 1929 and his 20 years of service was the longest pastorate in the history of Hope Hall. Under his leadership all branches of the work made considerable progress, the silver band and choir making a large contribution to the work of the church and also in deputational outreach. Some of the highlights of Pastor Robertson’s ministry. . .the Sunday School trips of 400-500 people marching down the High Street led by the silver band with Pastor Robertson proudly in front. . .the visit of the ‘Globalairs’, Jack Cochrane and Ken & Wanda Cummings from America. . .the mission of Ivor Powell in 1949. . .the open-air work at the top of Storie Street.

During the ministry of Pastor Robertson Hope Hall had the cream of the country in both preaching and instrumental talent and many were blessed and won for Christ. Due to failing health Pastor Robertson tendered his resignation and it was accepted from Sunday 9th September 1949. Pastor Robertson had a great love for visitation, especially the hospitals which he visited regularly. He was a man much respected and loved by all ofthe many people who had been helped and blessed during his ministry at Hope Hall
.


Pastor James Currie 1950-1954
 

The induction of Pastor Currie to Hope Hall took place on Saturday 2nd September 1950. He trained for the

ministry at the Bible Training Institute in Glasgow  (pictured below right)and came to Hope Hall after having been pastor of a mission in Redhill Surrey for over three years.bible_training_inst

Prior to that he had conducted the work in The Gordon Mission in Aberdeen.
Pastor Currie came with a high reputation as a pastor and preacher and Mrs Currie was also enthusiastic about evangelistic work and proved to be a considerable help to Pastor Currie and to the ladies of the church.

On May 24th 1954 his farewell social was held with the Rev Iohn Moor of Tent Hall as speaker, musical items were given by the choir and silver band. Pastor Currie had a great gift for preaching, he had a gentle nature and a great depth of spiritual understanding. Both he and Mrs Currie were greatly loved by the members and friends of Hope Hall.


Pastor Leonard Barton 1954-1956 

Pastor Burton had wide experience of gospel work having been pastor of churches at Portsmouth, Leeds, Stockport and Southsea before becoming pastor of Hope Hall. In 1954 he was elected a fellow of the Evangical Preaching Association. His induction was on Saturday 4th September and he was pastor for two years preaching his final address on ]uly Ist 1956.